Friday, March 21, 2014

ihatepumpingihatepumpingihatepumping

In case you couldn't tell from the title of this post, I hate pumping. I'm only doing it 3-4 times a day and I don't have to care for a young baby on top of it, but I still hate it. For one thing, it's time consuming, taking anywhere from 15-25 minutes per session and I have a hyper toddler trying to 'help' me or crawl all over me at the same time. I can't always distract her with other toys and she always wants to be by mommy (of course, who wouldn't want to be by me all day?)

Another thing is that it doesn't feel nearly the same as a baby directly nursing. I don't get that awesome oxytocin rush, or at least not as much, and it just feels uncomfortable sometimes. Babies are so much more effective at removing milk and I will even be able to hand express an ounce or so after I've pumped. My pump probably sucks; it's not a hospital grade one, just a $40 ameda from craigslist (yes I know, used pumps and all). I have to hold a flange with each hand and I'm too impatient and bored to sit still for 20 minutes watching milk spray.

Thankfully, The past few days she has been nursing more and so I've needed to pump less! But I still long for the day when I won't have to keep track of so many things: her medications, how much I'm pumping, how much she's eating/being tube fed, her weight, appointments, researching, etc. It's a bit mind-boggling for sure.

So kudos to the exclusive pumpers out there! It's a lot of work and not much fun. But all worth it in the end, of course. I would go through this hassle ten times over if it meant she could get the best food of all: her mommy's milk

No comments:

Post a Comment